Thursday, June 12, 2008

Life Lessons

Challenge~ What is the greatest lesson you've learned so far in your life
*Probably one of the best things that I've learned is it's not what you have in your life but what you do with your life. I recently read a book called "A Short Guide to a Happy Life" by Anna Quindlen and I would certainly recommend it. Much of what she says in it is true. She tells the reader to "get a life". To "Turn off the cell phone. Turn off your regular phone, for that matter. Keep still. Be present." People always seem to be running around trying to get to that better place. What is that "better place" and where is it? I have to admit that I've been guilty of the same thing. I work too much and don't get to spend time with my family as much as I'd like. Things can change in the blink of an eye and we really should take stock in what we have and enjoy the time with those that we love because you never know when it will all change. "Get a life in which you are not alone. Find people that you love, and love you. And remember that love is not leisure, it is work." I wish that I could have one more day with those that are no longer here. Some have been taken as a result of illness while others were sudden. Even when someone has an illness and you know what the inevitable is going to be, we don't always accept what's happening and miss opportunities with them. I'm guilty of that myself. Try to change what you can, while you can. (Quotes in italics are from the book.)
Grandma Mary, Jon and I

I show up. I try to listen. I try to laugh.

No comments: